Friday, May 9, 2008

Biography

It took years of searching to find this profession which greatly embodies many of the philosophies that I strongly believe in. My search began when I moved from Ontario to BC and began a forestry job that was exciting and extremely physically demanding. During the winters, I worked as a snowboard instructor and I thought that things were in perfect balance with 2 exciting seasonal outdoor jobs. However, this changed when the effects of the suffering forest industry swallowed up my summer job.

So, I began work as a bike technician at a popular outdoor gear store and worked my way up the retail ladder until I was the assistant manager and staff trainer. At the same time, I passed more levels of snowboard certification so that I became an instructor trainer. My ultimate ambitions involved teaching something that was centered around the outdoors and health. So, for several years I worked towards becoming a corporate trainer for the outdoor retail chain and a provincial/national snowboard coach.

As I worked towards these goals, I realized that I wanted to have a greater impact, more directly, on people's health. However, the largest obstacle that stood in the way was the thought of University after a 7 year hiatus from high school. Fortunately, I had amazing encouragement from friends. So, my research revealed a degree program called kinesiology which combined exercise and health physiology - exactly my interests. At that time, I just heard of Naturopathic Medicine and although I was interested, initially my primary goal was to became a Sports Med Doc or possibly a Chiropractor. However, by my second year of university, I was convinced I would go into Naturopathic Medicine.

In one sense I went full circle as my grandparents and mother grow a full produce and herb garden, regard the benefits of exercise, carefully select a healthy diet, use hydrotherapy, and only use medications as a last resort when dealing with an illness.

I now have a beautiful wife (whom I met at university) and two charming sons born Feb 6, 2008 and April 13, 2010.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing all of this valuable information. I was wondering the actual burden of the workload for becoming a ND. I would still have 7yrs of schooling and I have a family. Is it just as time consuming as regular medical school? Does it consume all of your nights and weekends? Thanks for all of your time and information.

Dr. Richard Mountain said...

Hi Sydney's mommy,

As I have not went to Conventional Medical school, I can not directly compare the difficulty. Please take a look at the, "Getting Prepared" link under Prospective Students to get a good idea of the difficulty of this program. If you plan on a full time (4 years) program, your evening are definately taken and I imagine most weekends too (maybe a 5 year part-time option might work for you and is available at some schools).

ac said...

Hey there!

I just discovered your blog through Melissa, and I love it! Principally I love the reason you're blogging - perhaps because I'm considering a career in naturopathy. I, like many others with such contemplations, still struggle between making that choice between conventional medicine and naturopathic medicine. I'm hoping that reading your blog will provide me with the much needed insight that I need! :) I have yet to dig through your archives and content, but I plan to do that tonight.

Best,
Aletheia :)

Anonymous said...

Am I crazy?
I swear it says that your second son was born in 2010, but that you made this post in 2008??
Unless you added on to the biography?

Dr. Richard Mountain said...

The beauty of digital media - yes I just added my second son to the bio. Wow, you would make an excellent editor!